Monday, July 23, 2012

MAKE YOUR OWN RAW GREENS POWDER



I have been making my own greens powder for quite a long time. It is really easy. All you do is wash your greens, shake off the water, remove the stems from the leaves and dehydrate them. You can pick one of your favorite greens or use a combination of greens. I like to use a mixture of chard, kale, spinach, beet greens and collards. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can put the leaves on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven with the light on but no oven heat. The light bulb will be enough heat to dehydrate them especially in the summer. A food is still considered to be raw if it has not been heated over 115 degrees. When I dehydrate my greens in the dehydrator, I keep the temperature down to 110 degrees. When the leaves are thoroughly dehydrated, I grind them into a powder in my Vitamix.  I do this by placing the greens in the Vitamix container, put the variable speed on number one, turn on the machine and increase the speed to #10, then let it run for about 20 seconds. If you do not have a Vitamix blender or the equivalent, you can use a coffee grinder. If you use a coffee grinder, it will take longer and you will have to keep adding dried green leaves and emptying the container when the contents turns into a fine green powder. 


No comments:

Post a Comment