Thursday, May 10, 2012

For a healthy, easily absorbable iron supplement which is also good for eczema, I make this iron tonic.  I drink some orange juice or take a C supplement with it for even greater iron absorption. It really helps my anemia. This is how I make it:
Boil one quart of water in a pan. Turn heat down low and add 1 oz. of yellow dock root.  Let simmer until the liquid is reduced to half a quart.  This takes approximately an hour on my topstove. Strain the herb and pour liquid in a quart jar.  Add 1/2 cup of quality blackstrap molasses.  That's it!  Some add dandelion root, I don't since it is best avoided by those who have gallbladder problems.  I keep it in the refrigerator and take a tablespoon three to six times per day. This formula is not constipating like most iron supplements.  In fact it is a mild laxative.  There are some contraindications in using yellow dock.  Due to the irritating effects of oxalates in Yellow Dock it must be avoided by those with kidney disease or kidney inflammation. Those with gastrointestinal irritation might also want to avoid it due to its mild laxative effect.
Taking it internally, in the form of this tonic, and making a paste of yellow dock from the powdered herb to apply topically on my eczema numular, really affords me relief.  I also put licorice tincture and coconut oil on eczema blisters instead of cortisone cream or make a salve when I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment